Friday, October 13, 2006

Sickness in Sackville

I am, perhaps foolishly, still working in my office on the Mount Allison University campus, waiting for a meeting with a student. Why is this perhaps foolish? Because Mount Allison has been hit with a mysterious flu outbreak. A colleague of mine often refers to our students as "little germ factories", which currently seems apt. Approximately 100 students have been hit with a nasty strain of gastroenteritis, which is being described by the university administration as a Norwalk-type virus. So far it appears that the symptoms are mostly limited to students in residence, but the outbreak only really started yesterday, and full information is still not available.

My best source for information, apart from the CBC, is Argosy editor William Wolfe-Wylie's blog. He's also one of the main sources for the CBC's information. The university is supposed to be putting updates on its website soon.

So far, it appears that the residences' food services have been cleared. The town water supply is currently being tested. But officials don't yet know what we're dealing with here. I, for one, am heading home right after my meeting.

For those students who are sick - get well soon!

2:19 PM: My apologies to anyone who tried to follow my original links - I have now fixed them. Also, the latest reporting seems to be that it is a viral problem. The town's water test results aren't expected to be in until Monday.

Recommend this Post

3 Comments:

At 2:11 pm, Blogger W3 said...

Thanks for the shout-outs - it's been a fun day.

Good luck staying healthy!

 
At 6:42 pm, Blogger The JF said...

I'm contemplating getting one of those chemical protection suits, it would make me feel much safer!

I wouldn't be suprised if it was the town water actually, I'm pretty suspicious of it since that one day that I ran the water and brown stuff came out. Apparently that's when they clean the pipe or something, but it was still pretty sketchy. I've been buying big jugs of water since, despite debating the ethics of bottled water.

Here's to hoping that you don't get sick!

 
At 9:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toronto area relatives are relieved (no pun intended) to know that your household has escaped the reaches of the bug :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home