Monday, September 04, 2006

The passing of a homophobic crusader

I usually don't read the obituaries section of the paper, but today I happened to be leafing through the Globe, and came across an obituary for a Dr. Kenneth Livingstone Campbell. In print it ran with a picture that looked awfully familiar. A quick check found out that yes, this was the same Ken Campbell who was an evangelical minister who used to run full-page ads in Canadian newspapers likening all homosexuals to pedophiles, crusading against marriage and adoption rights for gays and lesbians, and protesting Pride Day at Canada's Wonderland.

I was an undergraduate university student, just coming out of the closet, when I first ran into Campbell's full-page ads of hate in the Globe & Mail. I found it greatly disturbing at the time that the Globe would run such a disturbing, homophobic page of slurs. Since then, the Globe and other papers have revised their advertizing policies, and thank goodness.

While I am sure that his family will mourn his passing, I certainly will not.

Recommend this Post

2 Comments:

At 9:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God have mercy on his soul.

 
At 7:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Matthew thanks for noting the passing of this revolting bigot. I might have missed it and that would have been so disappointing. One more homophobe bites the dust. I'm not just not mourning his passage to hell. I'm celebrating it!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home