Wednesday, July 25, 2007

More news is good news, in both languages

I'm quite pleased by this decision of the CRTC, ordering cable companies to carry both CBC Newsworld and RDI as part of basic cable services. While this is being justified, and rightly so, on the grounds that official language minority communities should have access to news in their own language - it will mean that Franco-Ontarians have access to RDI, for example - I'm thrilled about this as a bilingual news junkie. RDI often provides better coverage of Quebec-based events, including elections and leaders' debates, than the English-language networks do, if they cover them at all.

It also means that viewers can watch political debates and politicians speaking in their original language, rather than through an interpreter, which can be awfully frustrating for bilingual viewers.

Labels: , ,

Recommend this Post

1 Comments:

At 6:34 pm, Blogger J@ckp1ne said...

I am suprised they were not available before.I think we can get both of them already,although I don't watch RDI as I can't speak french I think I have seen it when flipping through the channels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home