Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Canadian Water Safety

I never used to think about the water coming out of my taps. I took for granted that the Toronto tap water that I grew up drinking was safe. I knew that it tasted different (and in my opinion, better) than the Montreal tap water at my grandmother's house, but I contentedly drank both straight from the tap.

Even with the recent problems in Walkerton, Ontario, I gave little thought to water quality in my own community.

Moving to Sackville, New Brunswick has made me less cavalier. This morning, seeking to make a pot of coffee, I noticed that the tap water was running reddish-brown. In six months, this is the third time that this has happened. This is not a phenomenon limited to my house - when it happens, half the town is experiencing the same problem, as it's connected to problems with the town water pipes springing leaks. I find this greatly troubling. It makes me wonder what is getting caught in my Brita filter on mornings where the water is seemingly clear. I don't like this feeling, and I don't think it's necessary to experience it in a "modern" country. Sigh.

Recommend this Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home