Monday, May 30, 2011

Bryan Hayday (1952-2011)

I'm going to be away from blogging, probably for a while. My Dad, Bryan Hayday, passed away suddenly on Thursday night, at the age of 59.

His obituaries are in the Globe and the Toronto Star.

At some point in the future, I'm hoping to be able to write up more of a tribute for him. But for now, I just want to mention that my Dad was the reason why I became engaged in politics, from a very early age. A life-long Trudeau Liberal, he was passionate about social justice causes, and worked for his whole life in the health, social services and education sectors. We used to listen to Air Farce together, and every election we'd watch the returns together, all the way back to when I was seven years old, and came down to the basement to be with him while he watched the 1984 election of Brian Mulroney - a horrifying event, in his opinion. He was even more disappointed when we spoke a few weeks ago on the night of Stephen Harper's election.

I'm going to miss him terribly.

Labels:

Recommend this Post

10 Comments:

At 9:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mat, I'm sorry to hear the news of your dad. My condolences to you and your family.

Truong Nguyen,

 
At 9:56 am, Blogger Jae/Jennie said...

I'm so sorry, Matt. That's just awful.

 
At 2:02 pm, Anonymous Eamon said...

My condolences.

 
At 9:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your father inspired many people. This is how we expressed our gratitude back in 2005:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tPJc5BhO7M

 
At 1:28 am, Anonymous Nicholas Miniaci said...

This is so unfortunate, and I am so sorry to hear this. You have my condolences.

 
At 12:43 pm, Anonymous Maurice said...

Oh Matthew, I just stumbled onto this post now. I am so sorry to hear this shocking news. My condolences to you and your family.

 
At 12:57 pm, Anonymous mary said...

I'm so sorry about your Dad. He was one of my profs at Schulich. He was such a generous and engaging teacher.

 
At 9:13 pm, Anonymous Mary W said...

I am so sorry to hear this news. Your father was one of my professors at Schulich many years ago, and I still think of many of the lessons he taught. He was an inspiring, visionary and always entertaining teacher who made us all think, look at things from a different perspective, and challenge our own biases. I will always be grateful for the lessons he gave me. You should know that he made a difference my life, and that of many other people.

 
At 3:43 pm, Blogger Anderson said...

Please accept my very late condolences but I just heard about your Father's passing. I was his student only two years ago and he helped me through a very troubling time when my family members were ill. He made it possible for me to continue my studies through that time. I am sooo soo terribly sorry for OUR loss. Your father MADE A DIFFERENCE! So many of us will continue to reap the benefits. I encourage you to live his legacy. I offer hope, strength, love in a difficult time. Peace and blessings to you and your family.
Anderson

 
At 11:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled across your blog today. Your father was such an amazing man. His spirit was felt by anyone who met him.

His absence is felt by many many people and I am so sorry for your loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home