Friday, November 12, 2010

Partisan mailouts redux

I don't post here nearly as often as I once did, largely because there is very little that is subtle about the current state of Canadian politics that inspires me to thoughtful commentary. It's far more common these days, to me at least, to see blatant abuses of power, flat-out lies and shifts in policy that are informed by little other than the whims of the Prime Minister. But, since the topic of today's post was a hobby-horse for me a while ago, I'll give it a whirl!

Remember the really offensive 10-per-cent mailers that we used to get, sent by Conservative MPs using taxpayer dollars to engage in vicious attacks on the Liberals and the NDP under the guise of "informational material"? The House of Commons voted a while ago to ban this delightful practice. And now it's back, courtesy of the body of sober second thought, the Senate, as this Star article points out. Conservative Senators have been engaging in precisely the same tactics to attack Liberal and Conservative MPs. I suppose the main difference here is that in the Senate, the Conservatives almost have the numbers to block an effort to vote out this practice.

Charming.

Labels: , ,

Recommend this Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home