Thursday, May 27, 2010

When lacking vision, count the beans

I'm back from Japan, and had a wonderful time. The one negative hotel experience I reported in my previous post proved to be the rare exception to a great vacation. I even managed to work up some interesting material on public history while sight-seeing.

However, as has been the case for several months now, I'm feeling uninspired to post anything here. Iggy has been, well, performing about how I expected him to - which is to say, in an uninspiring manner. And rather than clash on ideas, or risk forcing an election, Parliament seems to be obsessed with the petty details of Helena Guergis' life and/or auditing expenses. I suppose this is predictable. Sheila Fraser helped bring down the Liberals, and the Liberals are hoping that the Conservatives can also be brought down on some financial scandal, seeing as they have failed to sink Harper in any other way.

That being said, it makes for uninspiring material for a nice, meaty blog post. I'm hoping that the Senate will try to dismantle the budget that Liberal MPs allowed to pass the House, despite its glaring flaws. But here again, I'm not holding my breath, especially since the Liberals have now lost their majority in the upper house. It's rather hard to get myself excited about the prospect of a Liberal revival when the party still doesn't seem to know what it wants to stand for, nor how to articulate whatever vision it does have.

Recommend this Post

1 Comments:

At 3:42 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you guys had a great trip :)

Have you been following the UK election and subsequent coalition? That's been quite good value and nailbiting, though I still think http://www.livejournal.com/users/uk_lolitics has the best commentary, sorry Guardian....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home